The Innovation Engine is a podcast series that discusses innovation through the lenses of corporate leadership, company culture, and emerging trends and technologies. The podcast features weekly interviews with best-selling authors, C-Level executives, and innovation experts from around the world. It is available on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, and Soundcloud.
David Bland joins us on this episode of The Innovation Engine podcast to look at organizing for innovation. Among the topics we talk about are why corporate innovation is fundamentally broken, what you can do to remedy that in your own organization, and what a typical innovation team should look like.
David is a Principal at Neo, a full-stack innovation consulting firm, where he advises corporations and startups on how to create and deliver value to their customers. Prior to Neo, he was a pioneer in lead startup and innovation services at Big Visible, where he worked with Fortune 500 companies to establish entrepreneurial teams within huge corporations.
Here are some highlights from this episode of the podcast:
- David shares some of the results from his team’s recent experiment with Toyota, where they tested the concept of a pay-at-the-pump iBeacon application. He previously wrote about this experience on Medium
- David gives his reasons for why “Learn” should actually be the first step in the Build/Measure/Learn loop
- We talk about why David believes 12 weeks is the perfect amount of time to transition from Build/Measure/Learn to Pivot/Persevere/Kill
- We explore what successful innovation teams and the 1980s cartoon robot Voltron have in common
Listen to the Episode
Tune in to the full episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast via the Stitcher Radio link below:
You can also download and subscribe to The Innovation Engine on iTunes or tune in via the podcast’s home on Stitcher Radio or SoundCloud to listen online, via Android or iOS, or on any device supporting a mobile browser.
image credit: Creative Commons HQ
- Daily — RSS Feed — Email — Twitter — Facebook — Linkedin Today
- Weekly — Email Newsletter — Free Magazine — Linkedin Group
Will Sherlin is the Digital Marketing Manager at 3Pillar Global, a leading provider of outsourced software development services for companies in the Media & Entertainment, Health & Wellness, Financial Services, and Information Services verticals. He oversees all content development for the 3Pillar website, hosts and produces the company’s weekly “Innovation Engine” podcast, and oversees the company’s social media properties.