Taking a slightly different approach than other World Innovation Forum bloggers, I’ve distilled 90 minutes with CK Prahalad down into these Top 10 Insights:
- Companies achieving competitive separation will be focused on ‘next practices’, not best practices
- Managers must focus some of their attention on volatility and discontinuities, because if not actively managed, discontinuities become disruptions
- To manage volatility you must address two contradictory requirements:
- Strategic Clarity and Consistency
- Operational Agility and Resilience
- How do I create capability of anticipating the future?
- How do I enable real time reconfiguration of resources?
- Position yourself in 2015 or 2020 and then fold the future in
- Strategy is about folding the future in, not about extrapolating
- You imagine the future and then you determine the short steps inbetween to get there
Finally, I’d like to end with a quote from CK Prahalad’s mother:
“Never accept silence as agreement because you’ll regret it later.”
What do you think?
Braden Kelley (@innovate on Twitter)