by Braden Kelley
Unfortunately, more often than not I see examples of social media strategy gone wrong. So, it stands out when I see a company like Lufthansa doing social media the right way – at least with their MySkyStatus site. Let’s look briefly at why this is a good execution of a social media strategy:
- Easy to use
- Gives the customer something of value with minimal effort
- The value is something that people naturally want to share
- Works just as well with the competition’s product as with their own
- Gives customer a visual idea of what they are going to get before they invest any time or effort
- Brand impression is minimal, and no fear of mentioning the competition
- It gives the user a choice of how much information they want to disclose
Now if we can convince the airlines that charging people for extra bags and other pointless fees are a bad idea (like Delta Airlines charging me $50 for the “privilege” of standing by for an earlier flight with open seats), then the world will be a better place.
What other examples of well-executed social media campaigns would people like to share?
Braden Kelley is the editor of Blogging Innovation and founder of Business Strategy Innovation, a consultancy focusing on innovation and marketing strategy. Braden is also @innovate on Twitter.